Tuesday 7 April 2009

Still moments

Sometimes, I really do just fall in love with my city that little bit more. 

Like yesterday evening, walking across Trafalgar Square in the warm evening sunshine, when it was busy but not crowded, when it was populated by pavement artists, and buskers, and a b-boy crew showing off for the crowd, and guys practising skate tricks, and tourists, and locals, when it was impossible not to smile.

Like yesterday evening, walking down the Thames Path in the cooling twilight, listening to the rubbish barges clashing against their moorings, and voices spilling out from the pubs, and smelling the chlorine under Cannon Street, and sharing the path with no one, when it was impossible not to smile.

Like yesterday evening, walking home from the tube station, past the tiny historic cottage orphaned amongst the 1960s council flats, past my neighbours' kids bikes piled in the front gardens, past my neighbour sitting out on his front step with a cigarette and a wave, to my front door, when it was impossible not to appreciate living in this place.

For all its problems, for all its downsides, I do just love this place.

No comments: