Friday 29 June 2007

Quit holding out and draw another breath

In a fit of being observant this morning, I managed to come in to work, just around the corner from Haymarket, without noticing that anything was awry.

I was reading the current novel, rather than the paper, this morning, so it wasn't till I read my emails and found the police-bulletins to local residents and a couple from concerned friends overseas that I figured out that there was anything I should have been paying attention to.

(It makes me feel slightly better that a friend who works one building down from the cordon line, only noticed when she discovered a policeman blocking her usual path towards breakfast!)

All hail to the folks who stepped in and diffused the car bomb.

It's not a good or a happy thing that it's occurred, but - I don't know - it's not going to stop me coming to work, or coming into town over the weekend, unless the situation changes quite drastically.

I might have to dig out the version of The Clash's London Calling overdubbed with Blair's 7/7 speech which we danced to the next day, not 200 yards from Kings Cross, though.  

The purpose of terrorism is just that, it is to terrorise people and we will not be terrorised.

No comments: