Wednesday 16 January 2008

all of these things and more

I don't know if I should be admitting this in public, but tonight is Torchwood night (first episode of the second season) and I'm looking forward to it.

Why would I be worried about admitting to that? Well, it's not so much the lingering stigma of SciFi - if I was posting the day before new Doctor Who I would have no shame at all about being full of anticipation and encouraging everyone to watch it. But that may be because everyone *does* watch it. My best friend's ten year old, through to my parents. It's proper family telly.

Torchwood? Well, season one was, to be honest, a bit rough in places. Didn't seem to know what it wanted to be. Had some fantastic episodes and some total dross, and some amazing acting, and some annoying failures to act (Gwen, I'm looking at you, lass.) some great writing, and some really clunky bad bits.

I missed a few episodes in the middle of last season, and wasn't too stressed about it, and yet, I have a soft spot for the show and I find myself caring about the launch of the second season.

I think part of it may be down to location. I went to uni down in Swansea, so the accents, and the real-world parts are pleasing to me. It's nice seeing Cardiff playing Cardiff (instead of Cardiff playing London and Swansea playing Cardiff, like in Doctor Who). Gwen's mundane boyfriend, Rhys, and her ex-partner on the police remind me of people I know. The accents feel like one flavour of home. It's all about the little things.

It looks like there will be folks coming round to watch en-mass, so even if the show does completely bomb, I'll still have a good evening, but I'll be waiting for the credits with fingers crossed, thinking 'please don't suck'.

And you know what? I have hope.

No comments: