Tuesday 13 March 2007

coming for to carry me home

Yesterday morning I came home to London by plane. I've never flown over the city that low, or when the weather was so clear, and it was amazing to be able to see the centre of the city laid out like a familiar map. The Thames really *does* look like the Eastender's title card, for one thing.

Maybe it's having spent a day recently peering at maps, but I was able not just to pick out the bridges and the Houses of Parliament and which park was which, but also to check that my workplace was still standing (1) The new Wembley arches really stand out in all that mass of north west housing, too!

I got a bit lost once we were west of that, until, nearly at Heathrow, I got a glimpse of a silver tube train rocking along the route I'd be taking back home.

It's good to be back.


(1) Other people do do that, right? When you've been away, and you come back and see your house for the first time, and you think 'not burned down - that's good'. No? Just me then. Huh.

No comments: